Thursday, November 16, 2006

 

Namibia Update 3

Well, my apologies to those who may have been waiting for a blog update. It was difficult in Namibia with 45k-dial-up internet (for you non-techies, that translates into SUPER slow) at about $10 per hour at local cafe's to get access, and sites like blogs and myspace are even harder to upload/download. I just barely made it through all the emails in the course of a month.

Here I am, sipping a fruit smoothie and using wireless hi-speed at a favorite cafe of mine in South Africa. Is the world I saw last month a dream? Are the images a memory, or are they now a deeper part of who I am? In just a short time, my life is different, all over again...launching from SA to Namibia was like my first missions trip to El Salvador at age 19, and coming back here has that "back in the USA effect." Yet it is all-together different being around the luxuries of South Africa, for in this land I live half a mile off a highway that runs through 4 countries; and I'm constantly aware as I look out my window and see the lush beauty of this land that within a 24 hour drive I can re-visit the "bush" and villages and regain the heart that they took from my chest. Anyone who knows me well can imagine the pain and crucifixion I live with when I live in comfort. Yes, that's not a typo; as Tommy Barnet said "the Kingdom of God is backwards and upside down compared to the world." I'm weird---give me the dirt! Give me the crum, the scum, for me it is fun!!!!

And reliving this life of comfortable beds, decent restaruants, hot showers and good coffee only serves to re-emphasize and affirm what I hold to be an incredible truth in this hour of the Church: people are forgotten. Every so often CNN or the 6 o'clock news serves a message from the Lord that reminds us that someone on the other side of the world is left alone. But what about when the other side of the world is in your grasp? I've driven down interstates where tourism flourishes and whites from all over South Africa, Europe, and the USA come to live a life of material freedom; only to push another 12 kilometers (approx 8 miles) off the main road and drive down bumpy gravel roads, where thousands live without electricity. The irony of it all makes me want to laugh, scream, shout, cry and sigh all at once. I couldn't help but wonder how many of them were ardent, faithful church-goers, hooked into a religion of weekly attendance where it's easy to ignore the events not within their schedule.

But I've learned in this month that this Kingdom we represent and this King that we serve is not One Who simply wants the Church to serve the social and political reformations of the Earth. This King Jesus rebuked His disciples for thinking that He was developing His followers to emerge into a new worldy kingdom of material thrones that would have a natural power and overthrow the visible forces inside flesh and blood (here I'm refering to the disciples wanting Jesus to become King of Israel and to be on the throne with Him). We would do well as a Body to realize that if we trust in the invisible Jesus to do the supernatural, it will both transcend and yet include the natural. I've sat back and watched Jesus do great things this month, though perhaps at times my mouth was moving or the eyes of men were looking at me; I found that even as a vessel of proclamation I myself was listening to the Holy Spirit inside me with such excitement at what He was going to do.

Well, to you faithful readers I thank you for going on this journey with me. Thanks for understanding the only reason you see Jesus in me is because of the cracks on this jar allow His glory inside to shine through. Bless you for praising Jesus and not man for His greatness. Let's win the world, let's find the forgetten around us. You might find an angel under those shaggy clothes!
in Him,
Nate

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?